Thursday 4 January 2018

503 Moving Pictures - Research

Existing Moving Image Typography:

For inspiration and to see how typography can be manipulated to communicate a message, I looked at existing moving image examples which include typography. This research helped me to realise the potential of the letterforms, and also made me think about the different ways typography and words can be understood.

This is a  previous RSA moving image award winner, and the use of typography here is very varied and interesting. There is a lot going on in the video, and many different ways the typography is presented. Illustrations accompany the video, which is something that I can consider. 


This is a video that makes the words come to life in a way that represents that word. I think these are very interesting as the word gets represented on two different levels.

In this video typography is manipulated to fit into an invisible 3D space, the use of words replaces walls, doors and etc, and allows to create an atmosphere/theme for the video. Very little illustration is used, however, just using the typography the video is still able to create a setting and a storyline.

Here is another video that visualises word as their meanings, this again I find very interesting, however, I do not think this is a technique that I would use, simple because I find this sort of communication to obvious. I would want my message to be communicated more abstractly.

In this video, typography is paired with illustration. It is more of a lyric video which is what I don't want, however, the techniques within this video I can still take inspiration from.

This video also uses typography to create 3D spaces and forms, the use of typography creates in a way a storyline, and presents the information in an interesting and engaging way. I hope to make my moving image also engaging for the viewer, and to use the imagery as an enhancement of the audio clip rather than a distraction.


No comments:

Post a Comment