Monday 23 April 2018

505 Module Evaluation

This module I have found extremely enjoyable and satisfying. This was because I chose topics that I have a personal interest in, and was able to create work that I am proud of happy with.
Studio Brief 1 was about micro-genres, and by picking Lithuanian Rap, I was able for the first time to bring my nationality into my design work. I treated the brief with a sense of patriotisms, and allowed myself to really immerse in the imagery and culture of Lithuania. I feel that I may have gone slightly too far, as almost all reasons for design decisions were surrounding Lithuania. However, I feel like this is acceptable and okay, as it only shows how proud I am to be Lithuanian and excited to promote it to others. I especially enjoyed creating illustrations, as it meant I was able to get away from the computer and do some hands-on drawing, something which I find myself doing less and less now a days. The outcome for the brief is a 3D graffiti spray can. A 3D outcome personally is atypical for me, which is another thing that I really enjoyed creating. Making mock-ups and working the design to fit the spray can was quite relaxing and enjoyable as it also meant I got to step away from the computer. Also, having a 3D outcome makes the experience of seeing the design much different. Seeing it in real life, in context, and being able to touch it gives it a whole new meaning and impression. This I believe is very effective for the exhibition, and what makes the outcome successful.
Studio Brief 2 was about tackling an issue, and I was very enthusiastic about my chosen issue of endangered animals and the threat of extinction. It was fulfilling to design something that could have real-world applications and have the potential to make a change to the better, especially since the issue I worked with is quite emotional and important to me. The outcome I created for this brief I believe are quite innovative and interesting. It's an unconventional means of certifying products, and I believe it would be far more effective than existing methods due to it's unavoidability and boldness. The execution of the concept/ideas, however, I believe was a little rushed and could have been more developed. Although I am happy with the outcomes and believe they communicate the brief and my intentions adequately, with further development I feel like the project could have been even more effective and successful. I especially liked the colour scheme of my designs, a bright orange and 'greenpeace' green work well together and make each other stand out. The 'orange strips' on products I believe worked very well in context and looked fairly professional. The amount of outcomes I produced for the campaign, could have been more. I could have expanded the campaign into social media and more digital platforms, rather than just focusing on print materials and the website. Overall, I am very happy with the outcomes I produced, and feel proud in coming up with a concept that had the potential to be a real solution to my issues. If it was applied in real life, I believe I could really help reduce deforestation due to the demand of palm oil, and in turn help endangered species and the threat of extinction by preventing the poor animals' habit from being destroyed for our human greed.

No comments:

Post a Comment