Monday 17 October 2016

Coemption Design Development and Class Crit

After deciding to use Helvetica instead of Bodoni, I then proceed to create some more initial designs on layout paper, but this time with the newly chosen typeface. I decided to re-apply some of the smaller design decisions I made within my exploration with Bodoni, as I felt that they were transferable and not qualities that were typeface specific. I looked again at making the 'E' in 'Coemption' a capital letter, and joining the letters 'C' and 'O' in 'Co'. Each initial Helvetica idea (Fig.1) was slightly different not only in the alterations made to the letterforms themselves, but also in the font weight that was used. My favourite weight was Helvetica Light (No.3 on Fig.1), as I felt that it didn't come across as loud as the other designs. This provided a friendlier atmosphere, which in turn made it seem more reliable and trustworthy, something I was aiming to communicate. Although Helvetica Neue Light Italic (No.5 on Fig.1) also had similar subtly as Helvetica Light, I didn't think it was as appropriate due to it being italic. In comparison to Helvetica Light, it didn't have the same assertiveness as the slants make it seem more passive, and this is something you would not want as part of your investment bank identity.
Fig.1

Class Crit Responses

 "Do you think the use of Helvetica demonstrates friendliness? How?"

- Yes, especially lowercase (with the uppercase C, which upholds formality) It looks modern, clean & reliable.
- Yes, it demonstrates openness and is easy to read.
- No, I think Helvetica in it's basic form is too passive and impersonal. Adding more character and/or rounded forms would make it friendlier.
- No, I don't think Helvetica is necessarily friendly as it's quite a neutral typeface.


"Which design is your favourite so far/ which do you think is most appropriate?"

- The joined letterforms [Co] illustrate the link between the investment bank and the consumer, this works effectively and is appropriate.
- I like the connection with the C and O, however I like it when you make 'Co' and 'Emption' disconnected.
- Helvetica. Med. (Last one) (No.6 on Fig.1)
- I think sans-serif is more appropriate. Also not italic, as it makes it look too tech-y.
- Lowercase is better as the uppercase looks a bit too loud - lowercase looks more professional for a bank.
- I really like the uppercase 'E' [as in 'CoEmption] as it gives it a bit more prestige as a professional bank.

My Responses:

- I will continue working on manipulating Helvetica to give it more character and move it away from it's 'neutral' state. The type of character I will aim for is a reliable, friendly, and professional representation.
- I will carry on exploring the ideas of linking the 'Co', as well as making the 'E' a capital letter.
- I will continue looking into both lowercase and uppercase variations, and see how these affect the communication of my company.

No comments:

Post a Comment