Monday 24 October 2016

Final Crit and Evaluation



Above was my the final design I chose to present. I felt it communicated all the aims I had at the start of the project most successfully. It is also presented in a mock up of company related documents.

Final Crit Feedback

- The gold colour is a little bit 'money hungry'. The blue designs are more appropriate as they seem more trustworthy.
- Could have looked at silvers - because they're also quite 'expensive' but not as loud.
- Use of mini-serifs makes it look more professional.
- Capital 'E' as well as 'C' works well in giving more authority
- The design decisions overall are appropriate and well-considered.
- Use of helvetica was an interesting choice, and works well because it makes the design more friendly and definitely approachable .

Evaluation

During this brief believe I have created 5 logotype designs that communicate successfully what I had originally intended. The company I was designing a logotype for was a high-end investment bank who's public image would demonstrate professionalism as well as trustworthiness to the customers. The use of mini-serifs within my designs proved to be appropriate and effective, as my research had suggested, I know this because during my final critique the feedback I received was that it made my design look more "professional". The use of two capital letters within the logotype was also successful; the feedback confirmed that it added "authority" to my design. Helvetica was also a favoured design decision, it made my designs "friendly and definitely approachable", which in turn makes the design seem trustworthy. I believe using Helvetica Light had an impact on this, because it is thinner when it comes to type weight, meaning it is received as being softer and less threatening, and therefore friendlier and more reliable than other Helvetica weights. The final critique proved that my design decisions worked well, the personality I intended to communicate within my logotype and the opinions I wanted to evoke from my customers, were confirmed by the fact that the feedback I received matched my original intentions.

The only design decision that caused some ambiguity was my choice of colour. Some thought that the use of gold created a "money hungry" image. This was understandable as it was something I had already acknowledged and possibly even expected. The aim for the gold choice in colour was to be different and change the stereotypes; I thought that because of the friendliness and effectiveness of the form within my designs, that by using gold I could change the associations of the colour and make the customers view it in a more positive and advantageous light. It was apparent that I was unsuccessful in communicating this message. This may be because I underestimated the form of my designs, and that I didn't considered how strongly stereotypes effect meaning or even how difficult it is to change them. The use of gold now seems as if it has dominated the designs, and instead of highlighting the other design decisions and their positivity, it has changed the designs meaning as a whole and instead manifested greed and untrustworthiness. The use of blue in the other final designs were much more admired. The feedback received said they seemed more "trustworthy". Considering my gamble with the use of gold was unsuccessful, I would have to agree. Blue is typically connoted with reliability, wisdom and loyalty, so it expectantly very appropriate for a company that seeks to communicate these things. Although I still believe that the use of gold is a more interesting design decision that has potential to be more recognisable and intrigue the audience more significantly, the use of blue also works well. This is because it is supported by all the other design decisions I have made, which are arguably equally as interesting and intriguing as gold being the choice of colour.

Looking at one of my final design within a relevant mock up, set against a a white background, the logotype seems legible and modern. The design decisions I made are distinct and add personality to the logotype. Overall, I am very happy with the outcomes of this brief and believe that, although there are areas for improvement, my final five designs have been successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment