Thursday 3 November 2016

Design Development - Typeface Specific

Using my previous design experimentations and a range of type weights, I used layout paper to create some accurate typeface manipulations for Clarendon. I decided to focus on Clarendon because from the last class crit feedback, that was the typeface that was suggested to be most appropriate when communicating the word 'malicious'.


Here I've manipulated Clarendon Bold. I think these designs aren't very successful because although the bold is intimidating, it feels as if it is too obvious. I do The weight of the strokes is very strong which which makes the designs eye-catching, however when I think of maliciousness I imagine it to be more sneaky and subtle, which I think would be communicated better if a lighter weight was used. Nevertheless, I do like the design choices I've made on the second design, I think the pointed terminals work quite effectively as they give the letters a sense of mischief.


Here I've manipulated Clarendon Medium. Although it is a lighter weight than Clarendon Bold, I still feel like it is a bit too obvious and so doesn't communicate maliciousness in the more subtle manner. It does work well, however, in creating an almost threatening atmosphere. I think the second design does this especially well as all fully enclosed counters are coloured in black. This not only creates unease and discomfort for the viewer, but also gives the typeface a certain depth that makes it seem as  if it is scheming something dark or evil (associations of the colour black). This of course links well with the word 'malicious'.


Here I've manipulated Clarendon Light. Instantly I feel that this works better than Clarendon Bold or Regular, because the weight of the strokes is a lot thinner and so makes the designs much clearer and elusive. The type weight alongside the sharp serif features within the first and second designs work especially well, as they combine to create a rather suspicious atmosphere. The sharp serifs add aggressiveness and give the designs and unreliable and menacing tone. 


I also decided to quickly explore on Caslon Regular some of the manipulations I applied to the Clarendon designs. This is because although the feedback from the previous class crit heavily suggested I use Clarendon, I still felt that Caslon had potential. In my opinion, the qualities and manipulations that I experimented with that would communicate maliciousness, work much better on Caslon than Clarendon. I think this is because of the contrast between the original 'gracefulness' of Caslon, in comparison to the sharpness and aggressiveness of the qualities applied. I especially like the second design on the left, because I feel it perfectly demonstrates the subtly in it's belligerence I have been aiming for throughout my design development so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment