Tuesday 1 November 2016

Design Development

During one of our studio development sessions, we were set mini tasks to help us explore our chosen word and aid our idea development. I had to illustrate the word 'malicious' in a series of quick drawings. (Fig.1 and 2). Then I had to pass my word along and have someone else do the same thing (Fig.3). Finally, someone else again had to create quick designs of the letter 'A' that would communicate my word 'malicious' (Fig.4).
I found this exercise useful because it opened me up to different opinions of how my word is received and how someone else would chose to communicate it. This exercise also inspired me to create letters based off of illustrations (Fig. 5), which I then used, along with all the previous drawings, to create a series of more functional typeface designs (Fig.6).

Fig.1

Fig.2
Fig.3
Fig.4
Fig.5


Fig.6

The designs I like the best so far in Fig.6 are the use of sharp serifs in the first two designs, and the designs with blocks of letters blacked out. From the feedback I had received and the illustrative research I had, the sharp serif designs had been derived from the idea of 'teeth'. The sharpness of the serifs suggests threatening intentions, which works well when attempting to communicate 'malicious'. The designs with blocks of letters blacked out I think also work well, due to the mystery and suspicion they create, making the designs feel untrustworthy and intimidating. This also links well with the word 'malicious'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment