Wednesday 7 February 2018

505 SB2 - PRD: Initial Ideas & Feedback

Having researched into the palm oil industry and considered all my initial ideas, I decided to create a new form of certification for the products that use sustainable palm oil. I choose this because having looked at the company RSPO, I found that they in fact do not provide reliable sustainable palm oil certification. I want to create a certification mark that would be reliable, and also stand out from all the other certification marks out there.

To visualise what I want to stay away from, I gathered some certification marks. I quickly noticed that all of them have the same visual story, they are almost always green and round and use 'nature' imagery. This is what I will want to avoid in my design.



The first thing I wanted to design was the logo. I took inspiration from palm oil fruit and plants, and came up with some initial sketches.



I also started to consider how can the certification mark be displayed on the products. They are usually on the back of the product in a small size, where the audience would not be able to see it/spot it unless they were specifically looking for it. This is why I began to consider how can my certification mark be placed in a way where it was instantly noticeable and clearly labelled for the audience to see.


Initial Idea Feedback:
- I like how you're focusing on the positives, the products that don't contain palm oil.
- Maybe you could promote/re-brand a specific product/company that uses sustainable palm oil instead of focusing on all of them?
- Maybe have a QR code next to the sustainability mark to take the customer to a website with more info about it.
- Definitely have the logo on the front side of the packaging, and seen at a glance.
- Maybe make a video to go alongside it? Like a campaign.
- You could go the other way and show the products that use unsustainable palm oil, and make the product unappealing to buy with ugly colours? hazard tape?
- Maybe the mark can be like a stamp with wax, using sustainable palm oil?
- You could find ways to force companies to get rid of the unsustainable palm oil.
- Bring all those certified logos together, and design a complete opposite?
- Look at cigarette packaging? and style it for bad palm oil products?
- Could the sticker/mark be like one of those booklets that peel away to reveal information?
- You could have the percentage of palm oil within each product shown clearly on all packaging.
- Challenge the idea of authentication, what makes those certification marks reliable? why do people believe in them?
- Maybe work for an organization. eg. greenpeace?
- Maybe have the mark become annoying and in your face, something you can't avoid.


No comments:

Post a Comment