Monday 23 January 2017

OBJECT - Battery Research

The following visual research outcomes are based on initial historical, scientific and cultural research into 'batteries'. The outcomes demonstrate the typical visual idea we have when we think 'battery', as well as the less common and unexpected ideas. Batteries have a long and scientific history, and a wide application in the modern world.

Microsoft Word Designs: During this task I've communicated Alkaline home-use batteries, the battery symbol within an electric circuit, the electric circuit, the modern idea of full and low batteries on electrical devices, a battery box, a car battery, and the very first battery invented.
 






Excel Spreadsheet Designs: During this task I've communicated car batteries, the iconic pink bunnies of battery brands, a car battery system, and the modern representations of various levels of power within an electrical device.



Illustrator Designs based on 'Batteries Not Included - Theme Song':




During this task I've listened to the theme song of a movie called 'Batteries Not Included', and communicated the rises/falls in tension and beat throughout the song. For this task I've taken on board the approach of graphic musical scores, by artists such as Conelius Cardew (Fig.1) and Gyorgy Ligeti (Fig.2). In response to the visual techniques they utilise, I've developed my previous drawings into more interesting and visually stimulating compositions. (Fig. 3 to 5)
Fig.1
Fig.2

Fig.3
Fig.4


Fig.5

Photographs: During this task I've explored giving my object constrictions, such as rendering it useless or taking it out of context through use of composition. From my initial research, I had found out that most people do not pay much attention the the brand of alkaline batteries they use, and so responded to this by stripping the batteries of they brand identities in some of my photographs.
 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment