Wednesday 11 January 2017

WAYFINDING - Idea Development

Fig.1

Continuing with the 'skyline' idea, I digitalised the skylines I had extracted from my location during my initial design stage (Fig.1). What was successful at this stage, and what impacted my whole design process after this point, was that the transfer from real-life photographs into digital didn't take away any of the skylines authenticity. The shapes of the buildings and land marks weren't lost, as what usually can happen when transferring real-life architectural qualities into digital. The architectural qualities were enhanced, and the individual details of each skyline made more evident.
Fig.2
In Fig.2 I started to explore different qualities I could give the lines to more clearly communicate to the audience the different locations. I was considering different line styles and weights. This was successful to the extent that it showed a differentiation between the skylines, however, the difference was too evident, and therefore uniformity and constancy throughout the system was lost.
Fig.3
Fig.3 is a digital alteration of the original skylines, with parts of the patterns flipper and re-joined into a once more consistent line. I've done this because it gives the patterns slightly more visual variety and interest, as well as allowing a wider range of applications. For example, if I wanted my wayfinding system to turn around a corner, I will be able to rely on one of the right angles from this new design more confidently than the previous one (Fig.1), as will it allow a more consistent and seamless transition. 
Fig.4

Fig.5
Fig.4 and Fig.5 are further explorations of communicating line and location differentiation. Fig.4 looks at colour, and although it is successful in it's aesthetically pleasing qualities as well as in meeting my intentions, unfortunately it is too boring and easily expected. Unlike other way finding systems, I didn't want mine to rely mainly on colour for it's communication. Fig.5 I looked at different line styles to accommodate my pattern. The results were intriguing, as they managed to maintain the visual qualities from the skylines, as well as enhancing them through a variety of different line weights and patterns. Although Fig.5 seemed promising, I was not confident with it's uniformity as a whole system; what makes the design interesting, their stroke weights and patterns, is what also weighs it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment