Friday 2 March 2018

505 SB1 - Micro-genres: Design Development and Final Outcome

After finalising my thoughts on what I want the spray can label design to contain, I went on to create the typography and illustrations that would go on it.

From my previous explorations, I choose some of my favourite typography designs and drew them out again in a much cleaner and more visually pleasing manner. I scanned them in and digitalised so that I could later on play around with them, changing their shape if necessary and adding colour.



For the illustrations, I decided to create a massive collage-like composition full of elements that associate with Lithuania and Lithuanian graffiti. Having looked at some of the most famous/ well-known Lithuanian graffiti, I decided to pay homage to some of them directly by creating a pastiche in my style of drawing of the artwork. Others works I paid homage to in a more subtle manner, taking only smaller elements. patterns or shapes from them. A lot of the collage/composition contains elements that communicate Lithuania. I thought that this was important as it brings attention to the country and reinforces the idea of paying homage to it and its artists, as well as the culture of Lithuania. When I choose Lithuanian Hip Hop/Rap as my micro-genre, I did so partly because I am a fan of the music, but mostly because Lithuania is a small country that maybe not everyone knows about, and me being Lithuania, I wanted to design something that could bring attention to not only the micro-genre of Lithuanian Hip Hop/Rap, but also to the country itself.

Having done the design/illustration, I also scanned it and digitalised it some that I could edit elements and add colour.







The next step in creating my label design was choosing the colour story. I was deciding between keeping the colour story limited to only 3 colours, or having a whole range of colours that fit and corresponded to what the illustration was.

On the left I looked at simply using the three colours from the Lithuanian flag, and reinforcing the idea of promoting Lithuania into the illustration/design even more. On the right I looked at having corresponding colours to what the illustration was portraying, but also incorporating the three Lithuanian colours in as well.

On the left I looked again at using Lithuanian colours, but this time in slightly different shades, as well as incorporating the colour black into the composition. On the right I looked at ignoring the Lithuanian colours all together and colouring the illustration in simply corresponding and aesthetically pleasing colours.


The colour scheme I decided to go for was the use of the three Lithuanian flag colours: green, yellow and red. This was partly due to feedback, which showed that that colour story was the most visually pleasing and engaging, but also because it felt the most appropriate. As I am paying homage to Lithuanian graffiti, symbolising Lithuania, and communicating the idea of Lithuanian Hip Hop culture, having the colour scheme be the three Lithuanian flag colours feels the most right, appropriate and effective. Although I liked this colour scheme the most myself too, I was afraid that it would feel 'too much', as if I am trying to ram the idea of Lithuania and its culture down the viewers/audience's throat. However, feedback reassured me that it was not shouting as much as I thought, as some people may not even know that those three colours are the Lithuanian colours, and would simply appreciate the colour scheme, or maybe take some interest within it and then find out that it is in fact about Lithuania. The colour scheme turned out to only feel 'too much' to me because I am so familiar with it.

Next, I looked back at the typography I had created for the spray can label design, and experimented with colouring it and placing it within the collage/composition.




This typography, although fit nicely into the centre of the composition and looked visually quite bold and eye-catching, it did not feel as if it was 'graffiti' enough. The letterforms feel a little juvenile, which is even more enhanced by the colours. It makes the illustration as a whole feel more childish and not serious.

This typography, although quite visually interesting, has also the same problem as the previous one of looking too juvenile. The letterforms and round which makes the illustration as a whole look approachable and friendly, however, it makes the illustration also not look professional or serious. This and the other typography so far lack confidence and sharpness, something that is needed within graffiti letterforms.

This typography works much better at creating a 'graffiti' effect and atmosphere, as it feels a lot more confident and sharp. The illustration surrounding it feels more professional and interesting. The letterforms are fairly easy to read, and have an interesting flow to them. The colours do not drown the letterforms or make them too juvenile. This is the typography design that feedback revealed to be the most appropriate and which fit into the composition/illustration design the best.

Final Design:

This is the final design within the measurements of the spray can label. The final design contains hand-drawn illustrations and typography. The illustrations contain homage to some of the most well-known and famous graffiti works in Lithuania, as well as illustrations of the symbols of Lithuania as a country. The illustration as a whole communicates not Lithuanian Hip Hop and graffiti cultures, but also promotes the country. The colour scheme chosen reinforces this, as the colours yellow, green and red are the colours of the Lithuanian flag. These colours together not only aid the communication of Lithuania, but are also visually and aesthetically pleasing as they are bold, bright and exciting. The typography for the design is calligraphic and hand-written, this was to not only give the illustration a further more personal touch, but to also communicate graffiti even further. The letterforms are quite sharp, bold and confident, which is what graffiti letterforms are normally like. The background colour for the typography is black, so it stand out against the illustration and makes it more noticeable as well as legible for the audience. The background colour is white, so that the colour scheme within the illustration could stand out. Also, so that the colour story of Lithuania (yellow, green and red) would not be disturbed and the strong meaning clearly kept. The placement of the illustration/composition within the dimensions of the label design ensure that all elements of the illustration can be seen and so that they do not overlap as they wrap around the can.






No comments:

Post a Comment