Friday 3 March 2017

Studio Brief 1: Final Crit Feedback and Evaluation

Feedback


- The colour red really helps the type stand out and it could also signify death and blood, as the titles name is 'killing' a mocking bird.
- The placement and type face on both the front and back work really well with the overall book design.
- The colour's perfect to make the book stand out while still retaining a modern fresh feel. The illustrations work well as part of the typeface. Does the spine need the black kill? Placement and layout are great for this design. Try small white outlines on the feathers.
- The colours work very well together creating a very high impact. The thin arrow lines and this type work very well in coordination.
- The arrows looks very sleek whilst the feathers are are more rough and raw, possibly make them more cohesive.
- This one has a stronger use of typography, however the concept of the blue one is stronger in my opinion.
- Red cover is very limited, arrows for kill, feathers for bird.
- Red is more sophisticated looking.
- Aimed at an older audience.
- Good use of arrows in the title.



- Really strong execution of displaying objects from the story. The design style is consistent, which helps give the overall cover a consistent flow.
- The spine of the book is really well thought out - the symbols you have included are most relevant as they are found in the tree.
- Front, spine and back all work well in isolation, this is essential in book design. This has been executed perfectly.
- The typeface works with the modernist (contemporary style) but I think you could experiment with another typeface for quote? or the blurb?
- I prefer this idea more than the other, as I like the idea of including all the objects that appear throughout the story. I suggest you can make the line of those objects bold/bigger so that it can match with the typeface.
- Aimed at a teenage audience upwards - 16+.
- Strong illustrations give the book a rejuvenation thats needed to get away from the idea that classics need boring design. Love the layout and consistency.
- The spine works well but is missing the authors name. The symbols could be slightly smaller to keep focus on the title.
- Play with line width on quote rather than italics as it can make it harsh on the eyes.
- Blue cover is a little busy, collage makes it appear more childish, although the book has very adult themes.
- Nice idea and really well executed, but I think it could be seen as a little too obvious and it doesn't fit with the ideas in the novel - maybe too childish.
- Strong concept with very good colour and line thickness choices. The snowman feels out of place with the rest of the aesthetic of the objects.
- Fits in comfortably with the modern marketplace. Takes a unique twist on the usual.
- Very imaginative, it seems like it took lots of time and effort.
- Make the front cover title slightly more enlarged, and the images ever so slightly smaller.

Evaluation

Personally, the final design I liked better was the 'red' one. I believe it had a simple and minimal, but strong and imaginative concept. I was proud of my use of typography, and how it's successful execution elevated the whole design and idea. The typeface used was Gill Sans, and I believe it was appropriate because of its soft and almost fragile characteristics, that allowed the illustrative elements to blend within the letterforms. My peers agree with me saying in the final feedback that this design had a "stronger use of typography" than the other, as well as that "the thin arrow lines and this type work very well in coordination". I believe my design appeals to a contemporary readership, because of the minimal and sleek overall feel of the design. The use of a sans serif typeface also gives specifically this book a modern feel, as most of the book cover designs in the past used serif of script typefaces. The use of colour is also strong, because it is bold and eye-catching, as well as complimentary of the other design elements. My peer feedback confirmed this as they said that the colour "really helps the type stand out" as well as that it "is perfect to make the book stand out while still retaining a modern fresh feel". An element of my design that could be improved upon are the illustrations. Due to there being a very minimum amount of them, they attain much more viewer attention and so require a closer attention to detail. One of the comments from my peer feedback was that "the arrows look very sleek whilst the feathers are more rough and raw". This happened because I had approached the illustration of these separate elements in different processes. I realise now that although the difference in feel and texture of the illustrations is very minor, it can become slightly irritating once noticed. In the future, I should make sure that I keep my illustration process similar if not the same, to maintain a cohesiveness to all my design elements. Minor details aside, I believe I met the majority of the requirements for this brief quite successfully, as I believe my concept was simple but original, my use of typography impactful, the feedback received from a contemporary readership was positive, and the overall design was striking and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment