Saturday 21 October 2017

'Lloyds No.1 Bar' Production/Mock Up

For the production of the publication, the size/format, paper stock and binding of the publication was to reflect on the fact that the purpose for the pages is for them to be removable posters. The cover of the publication was to be hardback, and its design reflect on how the Wetherspoon 'Lloyds No.1 Bar' is inside a really nice building.

Size/Format
The format or size of the publication had to be a significant enough size for the pages of the publication to be able to double up as posters. Because of this the size chosen for each page was just under A4. This was done with the consideration of the hardback cover in mind. The hardback cover is always slightly larger than the main content, as it has to snuggly fit and frame the content. I wanted the overall size of the publication, hardback included, to be roughly A4. This was because I did not want the publication to be too big, so big that it would be a hassle and irritation for the audience to read and use. A4 is the size that most people are used to and know how to handle, anything bigger has the potential to feel uncomfortable and annoying. Therefore, to allow for the hardback to frame the content of the book at roughly A4, I had to make the size of the printed pages just under A4.

Paper Stock
After consulting with the technician in the digital print studio, I decided that the paper I would use would be Olin Regular 200gsm. This was because I wanted the pages of my publication to double as removable posters, and so I needed a paper stock that would be fairly thick and durable, but not so much that it would be hard to bind. I chose Olin Regular 200gsm as it met both of those requirements I needed, as well as having quite a nice feel and shine to it, which I believed helped to create a poster-like effect to the pages.

Binding and Scoring
As my publication was a total of 12 pages, and printed as only 3 double sided spreads, a simple saddle stitch was all that I needed to put my publication together. The saddle stitch was also appropriately simple as I was to make my publication into a hardback, which meant that any interesting or fancy binding methods would have been pointless as they would have been hidden within the spine of the hardback.
To make my publication double up as posters, I decided to score 5mm into the inside of each page to allow each individual page to be taken out. The measurement of 5mm was appropriate not only because it didn't get in the way of binding, but also because it was far enough to be quite noticeable, so that the reader would not need instructions telling him that the page can be taken out, and rather they could easily figure it out themselves. To score the pages in the same place and evenly each time to ensure a professional finish I used a special scoring machine within the digital print studio.

Hardback Cover
The hardback cover colour chosen was black, this was because the colour black is typically associated with luxury, especially when it is paired with gold. Gold is the colour chosen for the lettering of the title onto the hardback cover. Black and Gold are the typical and cliché colours of 'luxury'. I felt that this would be appropriate as the aim of this publication was for it to be humorous, mocking and ironic, and although the main function of the hardback cover is to juxtapose that in relation to the outside of Wetherspoon buildings, I believe I was able to do that whilst also incorporating a second deeper level of humour and irony.

Mock-Up
To test the overall look and feel of the publication, I did a mock-up of the publication with all the materials that I had planned to use in the final production of the publication.

The hardback covered proved to be quite effective in giving the publication a slight
luxurious feel from the outside, as well as giving the overall format a roughly A4 size.

To bind the main printed booklet to the hardback cover I had to add additional pages,
for these I chose the colour black which proved quite effective as it made the
pages cohesive with the rest of the design. As the pages printed on were white, the
side of the paper stock gleamed white which distracted and ruined the overall
atmosphere of the design. To solve this I simply used a black pen to fill in the
white sides, this proved to be quite effective as the white space was instantly
gone and no longer a distraction.

The additional pages I added were black paper, I chose the black paper because I liked the feel and shine
to it, however, during binding I soon realised that thinner paper does not work well with PVA glue.
The paper got too wet and started crippling, creating a very displeasing and unprofessional look.

The wet and crippled paper from the PVA glue proved to ruin the overall visual of the publication.

The scoring of the pages 5mm into the insides proved to be appropriate as it was easily noticeable but not
so much as to distract from the content of the pages or ruin their layout.



The size/format of just under A4 proved to be effective as the size of the pages in relation to
the size of the content on the pages I was very pleased with.
All information is clear and easily readable, as well as effective from a distance,
which is appropriate for the aim the pages doubling up as posters.


In an attempt to use less glue to prevent wetness and crippling of the pages, when attaching the other
side of the book I used less glue. This however proved that less glue meant not all of the pages
will stick on properly or evenly.

Although I had used the technique I learnt in the hardback bookbinding workshop of measuring the booklet
and creating the hardback cover from its measurements, I still accidentally ended up with a hardback
that was too long for the main paper booklet inside. Because of this, when opened, the spine of the publication
would bend sideways and accompany the extra space as it is dragged by the glued pages.

From the mock-up of my publication there were some faults I found that needed to be addressed.
The use of paper for the additional pages that are required to bind the main publication with it's hardback cover was troublesome as the wetness of the PVA glue dried to create a displeasing and crimpling effect to the paper. To solve this problem, I will be using black card instead of black paper, as well an alternative to PVA such as a glue stick. The black card will be much thicker therefore it will be able to handle more moisture and wetness, allowing me to attach the main publication with it's hardback cover smoothly and without any crimpling on the pages. Just to avoid the wetness and crippling as a secondary caution I will use and alternative to PVA such as a glue stick, as glue sticks are much drier than PVA they should also decrease the chance of me getting wet and crimpled paper.
Another issue was the size of the hardback. Because it was too long, the spine would fold sideways when opened and dragged by the pages of the publication. To solve this problem, the hardback cover simply needs to be shorter in width, so that the publication can fill the space in the middle without their being an uneven amount of grey board left hanging on either side. Measuring the mock-up, roughly 6mm needs to be taken off the width of the hardback to allow everything to line up evenly, and for the spine bending to be avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment